The summer garden is doing well despite a late start and plenty of competition from weeds that grow way, way faster than I can pull them. In the mix: corn, lazy housewife beans, dragon's tongue beans, and 5-color Swiss chard.
| Yes, that's a tomato plant up front, too. I didn't plant it--it reseeded itself from last year's dropped fruit. After the cat-eaten tomato fiasco, I'm quite glad this volunteer stepped forward! |
| They've begun to blossom, too. |
Another grocery store watermelon got eaten both raw and cooked. This was my first time trying a watermelon rind pickle recipe. It turned out too salty for my taste but I think still worth trying again with adjustments. And what are those yellow circles in the bowl? Slices of ginger root. THAT part of the recipe is a definite keeper!
The crape myrtle is in full bloom. Not only is it stunning, but the kids call this "the climbing tree." It's just the right size for that!
The Outdoor Chef at work, giving us the customary persnickety culinary artist's grimace
Splash! We spent a happy and very refreshing few hours with the water features in one of the city's parks this week. We'll be back there before the hot weather runs out--that's for sure.
Hope your mid-July is full of bright, cool stories, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment