Friday, November 12, 2010

Hallowe'en 2010

Girlie, of course, is far to little to care one way or another about Hallowe'en, but this year both Boy 1 and Boy 2 were wound up and excited for weeks before. And we were, too, and looked forward to seeing both boys get dressed up and go out.

A month ago, back in September, Boy 2 had seen the Elmo costume Boy 1 wore last year. It was almost too small on Boy 2, but it would do. Elmo's a superstar around here, so Boy 2 was all over dressing up like him. And lucky for me, that meant only having to make one new costume. Whew!

Boy 1's choice was Cookie Monster. I admit, I suggested this since it seemed like a good compliment to Elmo, and I already knew how to make one. But Boy 1 didn't need any convincing. From the moment we first talked about it, he reminded me continually that he was going to BE Cookie Monster.
See the treat bag? I found a piece of Elmo Hallowe'en fabric on clearance and made a bag for each kid. They turned out pretty cute, too.
Even little Girlie had special Hallowe'en clothes--not a costume, but a fun sleeper. It's kind of hard to see in this shot, but the pattern is smiling ghosts (their faces are like the faces on the sleeper's feet), happy bats, and the word "Boo!"
Like last year, we started getting ready a few days before. We played the Peanuts' "Great Pumpkin" DVD at the boys' request. Soon they both were telling about how when kids dress up and ring doorbells on Hallowe'en, people give them candy. (They had to be reminded a few times, but we did get them to add "And you say Thank You" to their repertoire.)

The Peanuts movie recitations were cute until suddenly we realized Boy 1 was mostly picking up bossy Lucy's lines. Among her memorable sayings:

"You better, or I'll pound you!"

"Could I have an extra piece of candy for my stupid brother?"

"You blockhead!"

"...and I'm not going to help you."

And so that put an end to the Peanuts this year!

By early afternoon of the 31st, the boys were insisting it was time for a jack o'lantern. It was still early and we were hoping their enthusiasm wouldn't run out before sundown, but pumpkin carving commenced. Both boys were entranced as Jack emerged.

When Jack was lit up, they were beside themselves. This picture is the only keeper out of 15 tries. One or both of them kept turning away from the camera to stare at, pick on, push around, etc. poor Jack. The abuse does not end with carving. Pumpkins have it rough!


Only trouble was, later in the afternoon, Boy 1 starting putting on one of his productions. Whining, screaming, deliberately baiting Boy 2, going out of his way to defy every direction he was given, regardless how simple. This went on for three hours. After a few really good days in a row, he was pulling out all the stops. He got so ugly that I told him he would not be going trick-or-treating.

Boy 1 really did not deserve to go. He was truly horrible. But I was so disappointed myself (I love Hallowe'en!) that I relented. (I would regret changing my mind later, when we headed back home after being out nearly an hour. As soon as I told Boy 1 "This is the last house, then we go home," he went back to the same resisting and whining he'd been doing before. He definitely turns it on and off to suit himself.)

Boy 2, meanwhile, had not lost any privileges but just changed his mind. He was fine with the Elmo costume until it came time to put it on. The suit was no trouble, but he absolutely did NOT want anything on his head, including the costume cap with Elmo's eyes and nose on it. We told him he needed the cap to have Elmo's face, and didn't he want to be Elmo? Classic Boy 2 answer. No screaming and drama like Boy 1. Boy 2 just looked me in the eye and said "Nope." Then he stuck his fingers in his mouth, found his favorite bear, and sat on the floor to play Legos. I didn't even get a picture. He was just done, end of story.

So, it was just Boy 1 and me walking the neighborhood while Boy 2 and Girlie stayed home with Dada. I was surprised how few people were participating. We walked three blocks before we got to the first house with someone home, then another block before we found the second. Quite a few houses had their lights on, and some even had decorations, yet no one was answering the door. We finally found one short street near the center of the neighborhood where almost all the lights were on. Not sure why it was such a dud this year--landing on a Sunday? Competing with football?

When we got back home, I was surprised to hear that not a single person had come to our door. We don't usually have a lot of kids on this street, but we've come to expect a half dozen. A big fat zero is not normal. So we've been eating leftover candy for more than a week now.

We'll get a full Hallowe'en one of these years. Meantime, they do like the idea anyway, even if execution isn't so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment